Developing school leadership teams to close the opportunity gap
The Leadership Academy focuses on deepening participants’ understanding of how school leaders create an equitable education for children based on three core principles of what schools need:
- Systems, structures, and adult mindsets that align with the expectation that all students will achieve.
- A positive, relationships-based culture that fosters student belonging and is conducive to high levels of achievement.
- Instruction that centers on what (and which) students learned, with support to make high achievement possible.
The Leadership Academy is grounded in a virtual cohort experience and is a mix of live virtual classes with the cohort, pre-recorded lessons, case studies, and independent exercises. Sessions are focused on change management, strategic planning, leading effective adult teams, managing a data-driven culture, and strengthening school culture. Leaders will grapple with content in small groups as well as assess and reflect on the current state of their school and their own personal leadership skills.
Leadership Academy participants will:
- Create and execute a strategic plan with a focus on academic acceleration and strengthening school culture through an equity lens
- Create a metrics and goal tracker used to progress monitor and course correct
- Identify individual leadership development areas and create a plan to address growth areas
The Leadership Academy is designed for school leaders at all levels
(principal, assistant principal, dean, instructional coach, etc.)
|Leadership Academy Institute
|Leadership Academy Plus
|Leadership Academy Bridge
|Open to Participants from Any Location
|Length of Program
|How to Join
|Apply via Lead with CPS Common Application
In many states, the professional development training from Accelerate Institute is an allowable use of federal COVID-19 relief program funding. Public schools can use ESSER funds for school leadership development. Email Erin Brooks, Vice President of Partnerships at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn how your school might leverage this funding for training or services.
1. Leadership Academy Institute
- The Institute is a 6-day mix of live virtual classes with the cohort, pre-recorded lessons, case studies, and independent exercises.
- Sessions are focused on change management/strategic planning, leading effective adult teams, managing a data-driven culture, and strengthening school culture.
- You will create and execute a strategic plan with a focus on academic acceleration and strengthening school culture; create a metrics and goal tracker used to progress monitor and course correct; identify individual leadership development areas and create a plan to address growth area.
- Leadership Academy Institute is 30 professional development hours.
2. Leadership Academy Plus
Leadership Academy Plus starts with the 6-day Leadership Academy Institute with sessions focused on change management/strategic planning, leading effective adult teams, managing a data-driven culture, and strengthening school culture. Participants will create Strategic Plans based on their role within the school and their individual strengths and areas of growth.
- Forums: Ongoing professional learning, cohort problem solving, and continued progress monitoring and course correction of the participant’s Strategic Plan. Forums will take place weekly (1 hour) from November - April (exact times TBD).
- One-to-One Advisory: Individualized Advisory to support the participant’s work on a Leadership Development Plan and Strategic Plan throughout the year (3 per school year).
- Microlearnings: Access to Accelerate Institute’s Professional Development Resource Library, a curated resource library that uses short professional development video clips to highlight the work of great school leaders.
3. Leadership Bridge
Leadership Bridge is a unique partnership with Chicago Public Schools and The Chicago Public Education Fund that works to support strong succession plans for Chicago Public Schools (district and charter) by preparing current assistant principals to move into principal positions in Chicago.
2023 Leadership Academy Institute
The 2023 Leadership Academy Institute starts in September and consists of 6 days of sessions running weekly:
Thursday, Sept 21
Thursday, Sept 28
Thursday, Oct 5
Thursday, Oct 12
Thursday, Oct 19
Each day includes 6 hours of synchronous time. Participants get the most out of this program if given off-campus time for this work, so please connect with your manager and/or team to ensure there is a plan for you to participate fully on the above dates.
Exact times TBD; please mark the entire day off on your calendar
Leadership Academy Institute is 30 professional development hours.
If you have any questions, please contact Erin Brooks, VP of Partnerships, here.