Ryan Fellow/Founding Principal at
Equitas Academy in Los Angeles
The mission of Equitas Academy Charter Schools is to provide a structured, achievement-based community that prepares students to graduate from four-year colleges and universities. Equitas Academy has been recognized as a California Distinguished School and Gold Ribbon School by the California Department of Education because of our commitment to data-driven instruction and providing a rigorous and equitable education for all students. We currently serve over 1,200 students and operate two elementary schools and two middle schools in the Pico-Union neighborhood of Los Angeles, with a growth plan to open four additional schools and serve over 3000 students by 2022.
- High Expectations. Structured and disciplined classrooms, school-wide behavioral code of conduct, and school uniforms
- College Readiness. Extended school day and year, enrichment activities, and preparation to enter top-performing middle, high schools, and, ultimately, college
- A Family Partnership. Ongoing communication with parents about academic and behavioral progress, at-home visits by staff, and family workshops
- A Safe & Supportive School Community. We help our children make positive choices through our school values of curiosity, optimism, gratitude, grit, self-control, social intelligence, and zest.
To help us achieve our mission, we are seeking to identify a leader who will dramatically increase our ability to provide a high quality education, putting more scholars in the Pico-Union neighborhood on a path towards college graduation. The ideal candidate should not only be a model of our core values, but also a driven, talented leader who builds relationships while ensuring we achieve results.
Essential Responsibilities and Qualifications:
Resident Embedded Supports
- Engage in shadowing, observational and coaching opportunities in order to learn the role of school director
- Engage in opportunities to observe, coach, and support teachers in an effort to drive student achievement
- Actively engage in feedback and coaching as a way to support learning and growth
- Seek continual opportunities to challenge oneself as a potential school director
- Deeply engage in all required professional learning
- Further learning by making committed action statements
- Explore each opportunity as one of learning, growth, and practice
- Assist in the day-to-day operations of running an elementary school
- Find a way to improve results in whichever resident opportunity is available: instructional, cultural, operational
- Pursue ambitious goals and practice communicating those goals with zest and clarity
- Maintain strong systems to achieve results
- Embody results orientation for students at every opportunity
Head of Schools – Elementary
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Deep, passionate, and action oriented belief in our mission to support all of our scholars to and through college
- Demonstrated success within a school context as a teacher and peer leader
- Ability to cultivate and maintain relationships with students and adults
- Solves problems strategically while weighing the advantages and disadvantages of each approach with a network-wide lens
- Influences others to maintain a strong results orientation
- Ability to manage multiple projects and prioritize effectively
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- Ability to transition quickly from individual, detail oriented projects to collaborative, people-oriented conversations
- Bachelor's degree required
- At least 3-5 years of experience as a teacher and teacher leader
- Bilingual-Spanish preferred
Application and hiring process:
To apply, please visit our website.
Commitment to Diversity
Equitas Academy is actively seeking to build a diverse and experienced team of educators. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, disability, age, religion, sexual orientation, or national or ethnic origin. We are an equal opportunity employer.
Please visit our website for more information.